Tuesday, June 17, 2008

More graduation photos......

I am in that big crowd somewhere....there were almost 800 graduates from the UW Bothell campus but I think something like 12,000 UW students graduated over the weekend. They held the big graduation in Husky stadium on Saturday and over 40,000 people attended. Now that is a big graduation. I was excited to actually graduate at the Seattle campus since I started there after high school. Mike and I met when we were both students (he was the weekend cook at my sorority).....I ended up not finishing my degree in the 80's but will finally finish at the Bothell campus on August 22nd.

I actually got to sit next to my good friend Kristy. Our daughters have been friends for about six years now and she went back to school about the same time that I did.



The day really meant a lot to me. When I was a student out of high school I really didn't have any motivation for school. I was in a very BIG university and was completely lost. I was having a rough time back them with self esteem and school just made it worse. I wasn't doing well academically and this really made me feel like a failure (even though in retrospect...crazy thoughts). Deep down I wasn't career oriented but wanted to be married and a mom. When I met Mike my life completely changed for the better but I still was unhappy with school. I decided I needed a break....not realizing it would be that big of a break. My life turned around at that point for the better, marrying the man of my dreams, supporting him with his dream of earning a PhD., living in British Columbia for 7 years, giving birth to the most wonderful girls, moving back to Washington, starting a decorative painting business, volunteering for PTA, Girl Scouts and all those mommy jobs. The one area I still felt insecure about was my education. Since I was floundering back then my GPA was not that great, I was very motivated to prove to myself I could do better. I enrolled at a UW satellite campus three years ago since I didn't want to drive the hour it would take to go back to Seattle. Plus, the class sizes were much smaller and I knew this would be key to my success. I actually will be graduating with a degree and half worth of credits;) My first day back to school three years ago was SCARY....I literally prayed the whole ride there and I am surprised I did not throw up. I sat in the class just panicking and all those yucky self esteem issues came back. God was so good and encouraged me with peace and love. I made it through my first class and received a 3.9. I was totally shocked but ecstatic. Each class I was less and less nervous and I slowly proved to myself with work and determination that I could do this after all. I still have 3 classes to finish up this summer but my grades in the last three years have averaged out to be a 3.89. My overall GPA is much lower since they combined with my earlier UW grades but in the end I have put those ugly thoughts about not being smart enough to rest.

If there is something holding you back from fulfilling your dreams or a demon to conquer from your past....take it from me.....you can do it! And it feels so good when you do!!!!


With my grandma....


My wonderful family....Joe the youngest (who started Kindergarten the fall that I started UW in 1985) he graduated from Seattle Pacific University 6 years ago, my dad (another UW alum), me with my mom and finally on the end my sister, who graduated from Washington State University 9 years ago.....I still love her even if she is Coug;)
Reminiscent of our first kiss which I received from Mike at the very same campus (at the front door of my sorority) 20 years ago this coming October. The three people who put up with me the most over the past three years. My husband and editor man as well as the daughters who let me nap in the afternoons after pulling the all nighters.To put this all in perspective of how long this has taken me, I graduated with one of my flower girls at our wedding. Mikaela on the right was the youngest flower girl at 4 years old and her sister, Brittany, on the left was only 6 when we got married. I actually had Mikaela in one of my classes and that made me feel really old;)
Here I am with the same girls 17 years ago...Mikaela is the one with her finger in her mouth.
It was special for me to graduate but it really meant a lot that I could set this example for my girls. Now they know that they can do it too.....even if it takes until your middle aged.


After the ceremony my parents had a little party (also to celebrate Father's day and a few family birthdays).
It was actually my mom who did the beautiful party....busy day for her but she made it so special!!!



My sister (the Coug ....husky state rival) bought me the alum sweatshirt, wrapped in purple and gold and with a husky card. She said it was really hard for her to do but she made an exception just for me;)
The family pitched in and got me the most amazing present. This is the camera I have been wanting for a while now. They didn't even know I had been longing for this exact one but that is what they picked out. Totally excited!!! Hopefully this won't distract me too much this summer;)

My aunt Sue with my grandmother........
Even the biggest husky fans I know interrupted their Father's day fun to say hi and congrats....that meant a lot to me since Jay, on the far right (remember the wedding last summer) , was also my ring bearer at our wedding all those years ago.



Finally my dad......

....even though he had to share Father's day with me I think the graduation was a pretty neat gift for him too. I am the oldest daughter and only child for nine years. I was the first to start college but the last one to get her degree. I remember walking around the same campus with him as a little girl when he got his accounting degree from UW in the early 70's.


It is never too late:)

14 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Mike Liptack said...

STILL so proud of ya!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Jack King said...

Oh Lesie, that was so nicely put together. I will have to find a picture of you with your Dad when he graduated from the UW. We hope you are having fun with your camera and will look forward to lots of great pictures of many more exciting events with our family!! Possibly a new photo career for you?
Love, Mom & Dad

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are awesome. Im so proud of you and your family. What special times!

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

A huge, huge congratulations... I agree with you about 'dreams'... I have gotten to the stage in my life where I have the confidence to conquer a few of mine... some are small but they are my dreams... #1 Learning to ride a horse (I had a lesson and got the horse to trot etc what a buzz) #2 Travel #3 Adopt (since I was) oh... can't think of anymore there are more to come... as for the camera... I just bought that puppy... oh how I love it... I still have my Canon S3IS and love that but time to join the big league... Enjoy Life... this is not a dress rehearsal... take care

http://snappyadventures.blogspot.com (this is my site where I put my beloved photos on)...

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger k1 said...

Way to go Elise! Congratulations!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Ruth and Brian said...

Wow Elise - I am so totally proud of what you have done by setting your mind to something so important to you and achieving what you set out to accomplish. Way to go, girl!!!

And...luckyyyyyyyy on the camera. I've been coveting it myself - maybe if I continue to stick with my 'wishful' thinking huh?

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger Deb said...

What an inspiration you are! You have much to be proud of. YOu go girl!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Donna said...

BIGGEST congrats to you!!! That's awesome, your day looked perfect. That is a huge accomplishment, you should be really proud of yourself. I have a masters degree in speech language pathology, but only worked a few years before deciding to stay home with my oldest. But, just knowing that I accomplished that degree makes me feel great.
Hope those last classes go by quickly!!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Shandra said...

Congrats! What an awsome accomplishment!

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Roy and Lori said...

Congrats! Very happy for you!

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger cougchick said...

Wow! I really HAVE been out of the loop. Congrats on your graduation (even tho that is WAY too much purple for me). Ha!
What a fantastic accomplishment.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger jeanette said...

what a great post! great pics! What an accomplishment !!! you should be so proud of yourself!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger redmaryjanes said...

Wow!!!
Fanatastic!!
Congratulations!!

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger Alyson and Ford said...

Loved your story... You made it! Congratulations on attaining a very HUGE milestone! Next - your Master's?
Your family is so proud of you - the pictures tell the story!

Alyson LID 01/27/06

 

Post a Comment

<< Home