Tuesday, April 01, 2008

20 months LID...and sick!

Today marks our 20 month LID anniversary....hmmmm we are celebrating here...not! Actually Mike and I are both sick. He didn't go to work today....which means he really isn't feeling well. I am not as sick as he is but I can tell my body is fighting something...achy, a little congested but hopefully I won't get the full fledged flu like he did because this is my first week of spring quarter and I can't be really sick right now! I don't have class today so Mike and I have been hanging out on the couch...trying not to cough or sneeze on each other.







Since I don't have too much homework the first week of school I have been browsing the net and I found some fun new blogs, here, hereand here...that spark the creativity part of my soul that has been a little dormant lately...hopefully I can get some inspiration to do something fun this spring. Some of my other favorites are also... Shabby Miss Jenn, Love, Elsie, Artsy Mama and Simple Things.




How cute is that????


I am taking a Modern China class this quarter and I was so excited to see that one of my books on the wish list at Amazon was a required read for my class!!!! I have read through half it already and it is sooooo good! It is a great representation of China from a woman's point of view in the last century and it is all a true account but it reads like a novel. I highly recommend it!


Also, I have to write a final paper in the class and my professor is excited for me to research and write about China's one child policy. So if anyone knows of current reports about how China may change this....I would love any links you come across:)


Finally, we have only heard one report from Nicaragua that they all made it down there safely....but I can't help but just wish for one little phone call from my girls to hear how they are doing. I know the schedule for the last few days has been for them to work on painting the school and playing with the kids who live in the dump....so they are busy doing the work they went there for. Tomorrow is about the half way point of the trip so maybe we will get a call.....they said they could call at least once, so I am hoping.


****Update***** The girls just called....they each had three minutes to talk so we only got some of the details. They are having a great time, it is very hot, Kyla said there are a lot of big spiders and scorpions (yikes) and the family that they are staying with have a pet monkey that they love. They have been painting the school but mostly loving on the kids and each of them have a child who has become attached to them....so cool! Hailey was already talking about how she is going back as soon as she can save up enough of her babysitting money (she is going to be the missionary in the family I have a feeling). So far they have stayed pretty healthy only Miriah (Kyla and Hailey's friend) has gotten sick and Mac (their youth leader sprained his ankle). Hailey said she didn't bring enough clothes but she was able to do some laundry today. Wow, that was perfect timing for their call.....I have been missing them so much but I am so relieved that everything is going well!
Here is a picture of Kyla and Mariah back in August....please pray that Mariah gets better and that the others don't get sick and of course Mac's ankle heals quickly!

5 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger C's Mom said...

Horray to 20 behind you all the same...now do NOT get a nasty sickness, please. That is simply no fun.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My hubby is sick too. Hope your wait is not much longer! We can hope!

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear you have heard from your girls!! Be still your mother's heart :).

Oh, I would love to take the class you are in. My heart for China is huge after adoption from there. HAve you seen the Lisa ling National Geographic special on the Lost Girls. It is about the one child policy and adoption. Powerful video to see.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Kari said...

Thanks for all the inspiration. LOVE all the links. Most are new to me. Thanks so much for including me:)
Cheers
Kari

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Mommy Spice said...

I've read The Wild Swans and loved it. Hope you guys get to feeling better.

Glad your kids are ok. Tell them to stay away from the icky bugs...LOL!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home