Saturday, August 26, 2006

We are having way too much fun!!!

Today we went to one of the Laura Ingalls' museums in Burr Oak, Iowa (there are actually several in many of the locations that she traveled and lived in). The location we visited today was a hotel that her family lived at and her family worked at for about a year when she was about 9 years old. The location was not actually ever written about in her many stories as a pioneer girl but the hotel was full of memorabilia and we had a fascinating tour. I think you could probably make a whole vacation around just visiting all the different locations she lived. The most interesting thing I learned today was that Laura did not start writing her books until she was in her 60's. Her daughter, Rose, was the one who really encouraged her to start writing about her life as a girl. I am really glad she did too.


After touring the Ingalls' Museum we stopped off in Harmony, MN (wouldn't you love to live in a place with name like that) to see what some of the Amish were selling by the side of the road. I wanted to respect them so I didn't take a picture of them personally but they said I could take a picture of their quilts they were selling. Aren't they just beautiful? I was able to buy a beautiful handmade basket signed by the young girl who made it on the bottom of the basket. So cool!!! I also bought some of their homemade cookies, peanut clusters and some sweet quilted pot holders.
Finally, at the end of the day I was able to go help Lenny's neighbors up the road to help milk the goats and feed the calf while they are at the state fair. My favorite thing was feeding the really cute little preemie calf, Jasmine. Can see the look of excitement on my face? Maybe there is a farm girl in there just waiting to come out? Our nephew, Josiah, had a ball too!


Well I better hit the hay (hee hee hee) in the morning we get to hear Uncle Lenny preach for the first time! I still remember him at our wedding as a young sixteen year old kid and now a preacher. Wow, I can't wait! Will post more tomorrow. It is our last day here. :0(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home